(K-2) Classroom Teacher
Reporting to the Head of School / Director of Teaching and Learning (K-2), the Classroom Teacher will be responsible for co-teaching a class of 25 students. He or she will collaboratively develop curriculum and activities along with assessments that measure progress toward the academic standards of GCCS. The Classroom Teacher is also responsible for establishing and maintaining classrooms where whole group and small group instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work engage students, keep classes focused, and infuse a lasting desire to learn in all.
- Coordinate with co-teacher to plan and implement instructional units which meet program requirements in English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science and which adhere to New York State Learning Standards, Common Core.
- Differentiates instruction for students as integral aspect of planning and teaching and understands Workshop Model in design of instruction.
- Provides an inviting, innovative and exciting learning environment.
- Implements a concept-based, constructivist classroom.
- Demonstrates skills in effective and appropriate classroom management.
- Evaluates and tracks student progress and understands child-development.
- Utilizes formal and informal assessments to plan instructional program.
- Forms meaningful relationships with families and involves parents in their children’s’ education.
- Performs other instructional duties, as deemed appropriate by the Head of School and Director of Teaching and Learning.
- As Special Education or ELL certified teacher, ensures that Individualized Education Program (IEP) requirements are taught and evaluated for results.
- Ensures that accommodations are followed and in place for designated students.
- Adheres to the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct.
Qualification, Skills, and Knowledge Requirements
- Master’s degree and certification in Early Childhood (birth through Grade 2) and/or Childhood Education (Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 6), and either Special Education or English Language Learner required.
- Minimum of five years of successful, full-time lead teaching experience in an urban school setting.
- Understands the challenge and opportunities of working with urban youth.
- Bilingual ability in English and Spanish, or French, is desired.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL is firmly committed to equal employment opportunity. The School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices for all qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability (including AIDS), marital status, military status, citizenship status, predisposing genetic characteristics, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Employment decisions at the GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL will be made in a non-discriminatory manner and are based on qualifications, abilities, and merit. This policy governs all aspects of employment at this School including recruitment, hiring, assignments, training, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, compensation, employee benefits, discipline, and other terms and conditions of employment.
Please send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to:
Be sure to include the title of the position that you are applying for in the subject of the email. No telephone inquiries please. GCCS is committed to diversity and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates in this search. GCCS is an EEO.