(3-5) Classroom Teacher
Reporting to the Director of Teaching and Learning, the Classroom Teacher (Grade 3, 4, or 5) will be responsible for co-teaching a class of 25 students. He or she will collaboratively develop curriculum and activities ans assessments that measure progress toward the academic standards of Global Community Charter School (GCCS). The Classroom Teacher is also responsible for establishing and maintaining classrooms where whole group and small group instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work engages students, keeps classes focused, and infuses a lasting desire to learn.
- Coordinate with co-teacher and Grade Level Team to plan and implement instructional units that meet program requirements in English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science and adhere to New York State Learning Standards, Common Core, and International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Program (PYP) philosophy.
- Differentiate instruction for students as integral aspect of planning and teaching and understands Workshop Model in design of instruction.
- Provide an inviting, innovative and exciting learning environment.
- Implement a concept-based, constructivist classroom while guiding foundational skill development.
- Demonstrate skills and strategies in effective and appropriate classroom management.
- Evaluate and tracks student progress and has experience meeting school goals regarding annual student performance in NYSED Assessments.
- Utilize formal and informal assessments and other data to plan instructional program.
- Form meaningful relationships with families and involve parents in their children’s education.
- Respond favorably to feedback regarding instruction and classroom performance.
- Performs other instructional duties, as deemed appropriate by the Chief Academic Officer and Director of Teaching and Learning.
- As Special Education or ELL certified teacher, ensures that Individualized Education Program (IEP) requirements are taught and evaluated for results.
- Adhere to the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct.
Qualification, Skills, and Knowledge Requirements
- Master’s degree and certification in Early Childhood (birth through Grade 2) and/or Childhood Education (Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 6), preferred.
- Minimum of three years of full-time lead teaching experience in an urban school setting.
- Understands the challenge and opportunities of working with urban youth.
- Bilingual ability in English and Spanish, or French, is desired.
GCCS offers salaries that are competitive with the NYC Department of Education and other NYC Charter schools based on experience and qualifications. All GCCS staff receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account with employer match, life insurance and access to other benefits through our Employee Assistance Programs.
Please send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL is firmly committed to equal employment opportunity. The School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices for all qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability (including AIDS), marital status, military status, citizenship status, predisposing genetic characteristics, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Employment decisions at the GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL will be made in a non-discriminatory manner and are based on qualifications, abilities, and merit. This policy governs all aspects of employment at this School including recruitment, hiring, assignments, training, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, compensation, employee benefits, discipline, and other terms and conditions of employment.