Special Education and/or ELL Certified Teacher (ICT/CTT)
Reporting to the Director of Teaching and Learning, the Special Education and/or ELL Teacher will be responsible for co-teaching a class of 25 students. He or she will collaboratively develop curriculum and activities along with assessments that measure progress toward the academic standards of GCCS. The two Co-Teachers are responsible for establishing and maintaining classrooms where whole group and small group instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn in all.
- Collaboratively plans and implements instructional units which adhere to New York State Learning Standards, Common Core, and International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) philosophy.
- Differentiates instruction for students as integral aspect of planning and teaching.
- Understands Workshop Model in design of instruction.
- As Special Education or ELL certified teacher, ensures that Individualized Education Program (IEP) requirements are taught and evaluated for results.
- Coordinates with co-teacher and other teachers to meet program requirements in English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science.
- Evaluates and tracks student progress and understands child-development using a variety of assessments fully aligned with instructional outcomes to provide a comprehensive description of students’ abilities and needs and to inform instruction.
- Maintains open communication with parents, starting early in school year, including regular progress reports and demonstrated responsiveness to parent concerns and questions.
- Engages in effective and appropriate classroom management including implementing class and individual expectations and effective follow-up.
- Performs other instructional duties, as deemed appropriate by the Head of School and Directors of Teaching and Learning.
- Communicates effectively with students, parents, and colleagues with an on-going and proactive problem-solving approach.
Qualification, Skills, and Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree and certification in Early Childhood (birth through Grade 2) and/or Childhood Education (Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 6), and either Special Education or English Language Learner required.
- Minimum of five years of successful, full-time lead teaching experience, preferably in an urban school setting.
- Demonstrated success working with students from educationally underserved areas.
- Bilingual ability in English and Spanish or French, is desired.
- Experience with IB PYP also desired but not essential.
GCCS offers salaries that are competitive with the NYC Department of Education and other NYC Charter schools based on experience and qualifications. All GCCS staff receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account with employer match, life insurance and access to other benefits through our Employee Assistance Programs.
Please send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to: email@example.com
Be sure to include the title of the position that you are applying for in the subject of the email.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
GCCS is committed to diversity and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates in this search. GCCS is an EEO.