TITLE: Instructional Coach
REPORTS TO: Chief Academic Officer
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND POSITION OVERVIEW
Global Community Charter School (GCCS) is a Harlem-based International Baccalaureate (IB) World School that is innovative, inquiry-based, culturally competent, and provides students with a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum that encourages critical and creative thinking.
The Instructional Coach, with both content and instructional expertise, will work as a colleague with classroom teachers to improve student achievement and teacher practice. This position is responsible for providing coaching, co-teaching, and professional development will focus on individual and group learning. In order to meet this purpose, the Instructional Coach will provide personalized, one-on-one support based on the identified needs of individual teachers to develop strategies to support struggling students.
- Performs lesson observations and provides specific and actionable feedback for improvement
- Helps develop and review lesson plans and provides other curricular guidance as needed
- Models instructional excellence through classroom lesson planning and delivery as appropriate that aligns curriculum and assessment best practices
- Assists with the development, review, and implementation of curriculum, instruction, and assessments
- Assists teachers and academic team members with the analysis of reading, writing, math and other types of assessment results
- Reviews students’ data with teachers to create actionable steps for classroom instruction
- Works with the Academic Leaders, Special Education Coordinator, Interventionists, and classroom teachers to determine the most appropriate intervention for at-risk students
- Creates and delivers professional development to teachers and staff on an as-needed basis throughout the course of the year, at least one-half day each month
- Creates individualized improvement plans for struggling teachers and monitoring progress towards clear goals
- Evaluate academic achievement and progress towards school-wide goals through detailed data analysis of student performance on a wide variety of metrics; Lead and support teachers in using the student data collected to drive instruction and intervention
- Serves as a coach to individual and teams to determine intervention strategies as appropriate.
- Works with the Academic Leaders to identify professional development (PD) activities and training that is related to academic goals and school improvement plans
- Facilitates and/or present professional development activities with staff and teachers as needed
- Assists in the planning of professional development activities and other in-service program training to help raise the level of instructional performance
- Collaborates with teachers to find real solutions to challenges faced in the classroom, using data to drive decision making
- Provides recommendations for school-wide professional development based on the instructional needs of teachers
- Maintains open communication and positive relationships with staff, teachers, and academic leadership team members.
- The Coach does not evaluate teachers but will work with them to build upon their strengths in improving instruction.
- Model, promote and embody the International Baccalaureate learner profile to create a cohesive school culture of academic success and family
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university a must.
- An M.A., Ed.M or Master’s degree in education preferred.
- New York State Certification for relevant grades or demonstrated process towards obtaining certification
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated success as a full-time elementary classroom teacher.
- Excellent communication, presentation, facilitation and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with a diverse staff
- Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, urban school setting preferred.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching through continuous learning and data analysis
- Strong knowledge of IB-PYP curriculum preferred
- Formal experience mentoring teachers in effective literacy and math instruction and assessment strategies
- Knowledge of reading, writing, and math curriculum, subject matter, and development
- Ability to connect and build positive relationships with teachers and staff
- Be a team player - a desire to work in a team-oriented environment and collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Dedication to GCCS’ mission
Job Type: Full-time
GCCS offers salaries that are competitive with the NYC Department of Education and other NYC Charter schools based on experience and qualifications. All GCCS staff receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account with employer match, life insurance and access to other benefits through our Employee Assistance Programs.
Please send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL is firmly committed to equal employment opportunity. The School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices for all qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability (including AIDS), marital status, military status, citizenship status, predisposing genetic characteristics, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Employment decisions at the GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL will be made in a non-discriminatory manner and are based on qualifications, abilities, and merit. This policy governs all aspects of employment at this School including recruitment, hiring, assignments, training, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, compensation, employee benefits, discipline, and other terms and conditions of employment.