(K-2) Classroom Teacher
Reporting to the Director of Teaching and Learning, the Classroom Teacher will be responsible for co-teaching a class of 25 students. He or she will collaboratively develop curriculum and activities along with assessments that measure progress toward the academic standards of GCCS. The Classroom Teacher is also responsible for establishing and maintaining classrooms where whole group and small group instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work engage students, keep classes focused, and infuse a lasting desire to learn.
- With co-teacher, plan and implement instructional units that meet IB program requirements in English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science and align to New York State Learning Standards.
- Differentiate instruction for students as integral aspect of planning and teaching. Understands Workshop Model in design of instruction.
- Provide a safe, innovative and exciting learning environment.
- Implement a concept-based, constructivist classroom.
- Utilize formal and informal assessments to plan instruction.
- Form meaningful relationships with families and involve parents in their children’s education.
- Perform other instructional duties as deemed appropriate by the Chief Academic Officer and Director of Teaching and Learning.
- As Special Education or ELL certified teacher, ensure that Individualized Education Program (IEP) requirements are taught and evaluated for results.
- Uphold the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct.
Qualification, Skills, and Knowledge Requirements
- Master’s degree and certification in Early Childhood (birth through Grade 2) and/or Childhood Education (Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 6).
- Minimum of 3 years of lead teaching experience in an urban school setting.
- A passion for making a difference in the life of a student, and a commitment to working with our team through the challenges and opportunities of working with urban youth.
- Bilingual ability in English and Spanish, or French, is desired.
GCCS offers salaries that are competitive with the NYC Department of Education and other NYC Charter schools based on experience and qualifications. All GCCS staff receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account with employer match, life insurance and access to other benefits through our Employee Assistance Programs.
Please send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to include the title of the position that you are applying for in the subject of the email. No telephone inquiries please.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL is firmly committed to equal employment opportunity. The School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices for all qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability (including AIDS), marital status, military status, citizenship status, predisposing genetic characteristics, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Employment decisions at the GLOBAL COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL will be made in a non-discriminatory manner and are based on qualifications, abilities, and merit. This policy governs all aspects of employment at this School including recruitment, hiring, assignments, training, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, compensation, employee benefits, discipline, and other terms and conditions of employment.