GCCS School Aide
TITLE: School Aide
REPORTS TO: Assistant Chief Academic Officer
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND POSITION OVERVIEW
Global Community Charter School (GCCS) is a Harlem-based International Baccalaureate (IB) World School that is innovative, inquiry-based, culturally competent, and provides students with a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum that encourages critical and creative thinking.
The School Aide is responsible for providing support to teachers and students in all areas of instruction and learning environment. He/she works in collaboration with the teachers to provide assistance in reinforcing lessons to small or large groups of students and helps with classroom management. The school aide
- Supervising student arrivals, dismissal, and late-arrivals
- Supervising sessions of recess and lunch
- Assisting teachers during assigned specials classes such as art, music, dance, science, Spanish and physical education on a daily basis
- Monitors students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments (classroom, restroom, hallway, recess, busing, field trips, lunch, playground, etc.)
- Assists the teacher in all areas of the daily classroom routine.
- Assists with keeping students on task and provide additional assistance to individual students or small groups who need extra help or monitoring.
- Follows the classroom procedures outlined by the teacher.
- Assists in preparing instructional materials and helps students in the use of these resources.
- Maintains a neat and orderly classroom. Straightens chairs, tables, clear chalkboard, etc.
- Assisting operational and teaching staff with tasks that include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining storage and supply areas
- Assisting with unpacking/checking of materials
- Maintaining student files
- Updating bulletin boards throughout the building
- Making copies and distributing materials to classes or students
- Support after-school and family events, as necessary.
- Model, promote and embody the International Baccalaureate learner profile to create a cohesive school culture of academic success and family
- Support and cover in classrooms as needed
- Supporting the school as directed by the Dean, Chief Academic Officer, and Assistant Chief Academic Officers
- Strong commitment to an inclusion model of education; experience with and/or understanding of the urban learning environment.
- A track record of strong quantitative student achievement results
- At least 2 years of demonstrated success in a school setting
- Ability to build strong elementary school culture and positive relationships
- Good judgment and ability to navigate challenging situations
- Incredibly high expectations for all aspects of school and ownership over results
- Strong work ethic, is reflective and continually seeks to learn and improve
- Be a team player - a desire to work in a team-oriented environment and collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Dedication to GCCS’ mission
Job Type: Full-time
GCCS offers salaries that are competitive with the NYC Department of Education and other NYC Charter schools based on experience and qualifications. All GCCS staff receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account with employer match, life insurance and access to other benefits through our Employee Assistance Programs.